I have no idea why this is not well documented anywhere... I figured most of this out by scouring posts and through trial and error.
This process will create a build of the Android source tree with the Maps application included. Note that this does not have Gmail, YouTube, Market, or IM. These are third party applications to which source is not included. I tried to patch them in, but at the time of writing, their versions were too old to work with the new framework/build. As such, I would not say this is a really usable build by any means.
- You must have a rooted (or a dev) phone.
Installation of the provided Android image files (see the end of the post for how to build them manually):
- Install the JesusFreke's RC30 V1.3+. This will give you a root shell root access in recovery mode. A root adb shell is required for the next step.
- Install the engineering boot loader.
- Download the prebuilt cupcake installation images to your computer. Extract them to a folder somewhere. (Note: I will probably not be keeping this image up to date, so you are better of learning how to build from source. See the do-it-yourself instructions at the end.)
- Get Fastboot for your computer.
- Start your phone up into fastboot mode. You can do this by shutting your phone off, and holding camera and power. You will see Androids on skateboards.
- Connect your phone to your computer. Press the back button on your phone until your screen says FASTBOOT.
- Go to a terminal on your computer and navigate to your extracted (or built) files and type:
- chmod a+x fastboot
- (If you are building from source, make sure the built /out/host/platform/bin directory is in your PATH. Additionally, type "fastboot" rather than "./fastboot")
- ./fastboot flash system system.img
- ./fastboot flash boot boot.img
- ./fastboot flash userdata userdata.img
- ./fastboot reboot
- If your phone hangs for a long time while flashing or rebooting, unplug and reconnect your phone. I run into this issue, and that is how I work around it. This may be an issue with the phone being connected to a VM.
Congratulations! You are done!
Reverting Back to the G1/Dev Image
- Reflash the modified RC30 image from your SD card. If you start up now, your phone will not start up (it will stay hung at the flashing robot). No big deal though.
- Start up in recovery mode (turn on the phone using home and power). Press Alt-L to show the menu, and press Alt-W to wipe the phone.
Do it Yourself Instructions For Building from Source
- Follow these instructions to get the Android source.
- Follow these instructions to target Dream hardware and generate the images: http://source.android.com/documentat...ding-for-dream
- Several (relatively minor) changes in the Dream audio driver code to fix compilation issues.
- Copied libOmxCore.so to mydroid/out/target/product/dream/system/lib (this was a missing step in the Building for Dream documentation, and something that should be in the HTC provided script)
- Copy Maps.apk from a Android Dev Phone 1 into mydroid/out/target/product/dream/system/app
- Copy com.google.android.maps.jar from a from a Android Dev Phone 1 into mydroid/out/target/product/dream/system/framework
- Delete mydroid\out\target\product\dream\obj\PACKAGING\systemimage_unopt_intermediates\system.img
- Delete mydroid\out\target\product\dream\system.img